Friday, January 16, 2015

Ali Cooks: Greek Yogurt Biscuits


You know what's NOT fun?  Having stomach problems and not knowing why.  I've been experiencing this lovely battle for about 2.5 years now, and things are getting pretty frustrating, especially since I've moved so much and have seen a million doctors.  This whole topic comes up because I've got a lovely new symptom:  heartburn.  It's started just this week and is so bizarre because I've been avoiding typical heartburn-causing foods PLUS I've been avoiding sugar.  So...what NOW?!

I'll hopefully be seeing a primary care doctor by some time in February, but in the meantime, I'm frustrated.  I DID make biscuits last night though!  They were so beautiful...and so full of dill.

Brian worked late last night, so I tried to time it for the biscuits to come out of the oven when he walked in the door.  I was 20 minutes off, but hey, close enough!  I will say that the biscuits took longer than expected (even though I finished them early) because there's flour/dough/rolling involved.  (For some reason I didn't consider these steps when I decided to make biscuits).

Go out in the world and make some biscuits!  And let me know if you find any stomach-symptom-cures because I feel like I've tried EVERYTHING!


Greek Yogurt Biscuits
*adapted from TwoPeasAndTheirPod.com

Ingredients:
1.5 cups Flour
1 tbs sugar
  1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 tbs dried dill
1/4 + 1/8 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/4 + 1/8 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 egg, beaten
1.5 tbs cold water
 
Instructions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease a baking sheet and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, dill, and salt.  Cut in the butter, using your fingers or a pastry cutter (I used a fork). Work the dough until the butter is broken down. 
In a small bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, egg, and water.  Add the liquid ingredients to the flour mixture, stirring until the dough barely comes together.  Dump the mixture on a lightly floured counter and knead until the dough comes together.  Don't overwork the dough.
Using a rolling pin or your hands, roll out the dough into a .75-inch thick circle.  Cut into rounds using a cup.  Combine dough scraps and roll out again to make the remaining biscuits.
Place the biscuits on the baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment