Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Ali Cooks: Zucchini Frittata

HOME SWEET HOME!
 
That's right, today marks my first full day back in NoDak since wayyy back in December!  And believe it or not, I actually had the time to cook something yummy and am now blogging about it.  Haha, sounds like me reserving time at home to try out a new recipe, right?  The good news is that it was only mildly chaotic and tasted great!  Besides that it'll be a great dinner for me for the next three nights, too.
 
Yep, I went for a frittata.  Frittatas are great options for me because they include eggs, which are one of the few proteins that I eat these days.  Plus this one has CHEESE!  Parmigiano Romano, if I spelled it correctly.  Basically, a really good, really yummy cheese.  The important part for me with this recipe was making sure that I grated it myself.  I'm not a fan of the additives food manufacturers put in the grated cheese to prevent clumping.  So that meant:  I got to try out my parents' awesomely useful cheese grater!  While probably not exciting to most, this nifty tool made my night.  My own stone age cheese grater is itty bitty and has an obnoxious handle.  Now my parents' cheese grater has a plastic cover that catches the grated cheese!  And it's giant!  Don't believe me?  See below!
 
 
Ok, but before we get on to the cheesy goodness, I have to share one more gadget that my parents have acquired:  a juicer.  Random, right?!  Well, I thought I'd give it a shot, too, since I wanted a spinach salad, and lemon juice is one of my two dressing options (the other being balsalmic vinegar).  Two things learned in this process:
 
1)  Juicing things is fun.  2)  Juicers require a lot of parts.  Meaning a lot of cleaning.  See the evidence.
 
So where are we?  I told you I made a frittata.  I told you it had eggs and cheese.  I told you it was delicious.  I even distracted myself with a tangent about the juicer.  While I'm at it, I might as well even tell the short escapade about how I flipped the frittata.  In the past, I've made a frittata with Brian present.  It was pretty chaotic (my doing, of course).  Frittatas are not small food stuffs to be flipping.  Using extra hands is helpful, but when other hands are involved, communication is necessary and my nervous-flipping-tendencies cause...tension.  Brian and I made it happen once before with the use of a plate on top of the frying pan. 
 
Tonight:  I attempted alone.  And then...I freaked out and Zach came and helped.  Regardless, it happened.  Frittata flipped.  Nice crispy crunchy on one side and cheesy/golden on the other.  Success!  And with only minimal chaos.
 
I'm pretty sure we're ready for the recipe by now though.  I'm all storied out at this point.  Now let me present:
 
 
Zucchini Frittata
*Adapted from TartineAndApronStrings.com
 
Ingredients:
6 eggs
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 zucchini, thinly sliced
3/4 cup of parmesan cheese (or another hard cheese)
salt/pepper
2+ stalks of chives, chopped
small handful of parsley, chopped
 
Instructions:
 
I always say:  prep first.  Make sure everything is chopped and grated before you do anything else.
 
 
Next, in a bowl, lightly whisk together the eggs, along with a pinch of salt and pepper.
 
 
Add olive oil in a frying pan/skillet and set to medium heat.  Pour in the egg mixture.  Then, place zucchini slices evenly (I had half a zucchini leftover actually).
 
 
Sprinkle on the cheese.
 
 
Wait for the frittata to brown on the edges AND mostly set up in the middle.  This can take awhile.  If needed, grab a cover to prevent splatters while it cooks.
 
 
Next, you must flip the frittata.  (Feel free to read about my flipping technique above in more detail.)  It might be useful to use a large plate that you can tip upside-down and then flip the frying pan.  Don't burn yourself though!  Also, don't be scared by especially dark coloring after if flips.
 
Mine had a funny looking egg hole in the bottom.  Ah well--made it easier to tell when the other side was done!
 
It should only take a couple minutes to finish from this point forward.  When ready, do another flip so that the lighter side is face up on the plate. 
 
 
 
Cut into four slices and eat up!
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment