Sunday, June 30, 2013

Ali Cooks: Flour-Free Banana & Coconut Pancakes

This will be what I am deeming a 'Lazy-Sunday-Morning-Post.'  Ya see, I love the idea of getting up whenever I want on a Sunday morning, doing a few chores around the apartment, and eventually making a yummy breakfast for Brian and I to enjoy (once he wakes up).  This morning was one of those mornings, and I thought I'd let you join me in the cooking/eating adventure if you so choose.
 
Another tidbit about these special Sundays:  we typically make pancakes.  C'mon, pancakes are delicious.  And Brian and I have this hobby of collecting pancake recipes that we track on Pinterest.  Most recipes are decadent, but recently we've been making some gluten-free/fruity varieties.  This morning's experiment was a Flour-free Banana and Coconut variety.
 
Also, before we get too far into this, I kept the recipe pretty much exactly as it's posted on the website, though I'm going to modify the instructions a bit, since I find my own wording to be more understandable sometimes (haha, of course).  So you can always check out the original recipe and probably get near to the same results.  And NOW:
 
 
Flour-free Banana & Coconut Pancakes
*Adapted from KatieAtTheKitchenDoor.com
 
Ingredients:
3 ripe bananas
6 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup of shredded dried coconut
1 cup of blueberries
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp butter (for frying)
maple syrup (if you're into that as a topping)
 
Instructions:
Mash bananas in a mixing bowl.  Add the beaten eggs and coconut; stir.  Stir in blueberries and cinnamon.
 
Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat.  Using a few measured tablespoons or an 1/8 cup, pour batter into skillet.  (Measuring IS important!  Smaller pancakes is key!)
 
The pancakes won't bubble up at the surface to signal that they are ready to be flipped, but check them after two minutes, and lift the edges with a spatula to periodically check them.  They are very fragile, and it takes some practice to get a successful flip.  Also, watch out for rogue blueberries--there were several that I ended up scooping back into the batter after a tricky flip.
 
And that's that!  Ya wanna know a quirky thing about me?  I eat pancakes like cookies.
No fork.
No topping.
Just pick it up and nibble.
Haha, that's me for ya!  Happy brunching!


No comments:

Post a Comment