Friday, November 27, 2015

Ali Cooks: Whiskey Spiked Cranberry Sauce

Thanksgiving (yesterday) was an all-around good day.  Except there are two foods that are pretty important for me to feel like Thanksgiving is 'complete.'  One is squash.  Ideally, butternut squash, but really any squash works as long as it's not yams/sweet potatoes.  (I don't really like those.)  I was a happy Ali yesterday when Brian's dad brought roasted root veggies (to include squash!!!) to the Thanksgiving meal yesterday.  I was halfway to my happy place.

What's the other half?  You got it--cranberry sauce!  I've never actually made it from scratch before, but I've always been told it's super-easy.  However, I wasn't going to bust out my frozen cranberries until I first checked that Brian's relatives didn't have cranberry sauce.  I was actually kinda excited that they weren't served because that meant that it was experimentation time once I got home!

And experiment I did...except I considered the fact that Brian does NOT like cranberries, so I offered that I make the cranberry sauce with whiskey or red wine (both recipes of which I had discovered earlier that day).  He of course chose whiskey, and even bought a fresh bottle!  (But of course the remaining is not his to enjoy.)

Brian did taste the cranberry sauce but is still not a fan of cranberries.  I will happily indulge in the rest of the delicious relish, but I'm kinda sad he doesn't share my love of the tart little berry.

Ah well!  Take a little time out of your day and spike your cranberries so that you can join me in my cranberry delight!


Whiskey Spiked Cranberry Sauce
*Adapted from MeAndTheClams.com

Ingredients:
12oz fresh or thawed cranberries
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup whiskey
cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, & allspice to taste

Instructions:


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, then add the cranberry mix to a small casserole dish or pan.  Bake for at least 60 minutes, until the berries barely hold their form. Enjoy warm or allow to firm up in the fridge.  Easy and delicious!














No comments:

Post a Comment