Sunday, June 7, 2015

Ali Cooks AND Bakes: Spinach Alfredo Casserole AND Cold Chocolate Snacking Cake

 There are no photos today!  Kind of on purpose actually...

I warned my lovely readers that I don't enjoy taking photos for my blog because it's stressful and delays delicious consumption.  So I decided to thoroughly enjoy the best parts of the cooking/baking experience and not incorporate any stressful photography.

I'm sorry.  Because that means that you can't see the results.  But it was delicious.  Both of the recipes below were delicious.

I don't have TOO much to say except that I'm proud of myself.  I'm proud of this blog.  I've made SO MANY dishes and desserts that were delicious.  And many that weren't very delicious.  But I've expanded my food horizons (and cooking/baking abilities!) and worked with the dietary restrictions necessary for my sensitive stomach.  I haven't made many recipes more than once because I push myself to always create anew.

And that takes work.

I may venture away from my blog, especially in the traditional sense.  I like the idea of starting a new kind of blog (stay tuned, if interested!), and I like the freedom that I have to do so.

But...for now, I encourage you to trust my dinner/dessert feedback from my lovely reviewers and create the below dishes for yourself.  Being in the kitchen is so much fun, especially when you get to provide for those who you care about and who appreciate you, regardless of the results of your cooking/baking ventures.
 
Spinach Alfredo Casserole
*adapted from Diethood.com

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup orzo
4 Tbs olive oil
4 Tbs flour
1 cup vegetable broth
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
2/3 cup plain yogurt
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano

+4 Tbs olive oil
4 green onion stalks, sliced
1 bag spinach
Additional grated parmesan

Instructions:
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a casserole dish and set aside.
Cook the orzo according to the directions on the box; drain and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
Stir in the flour until combined.
Slowly whisk in the vegetable broth.
Cook and whisk until the mixture boils and thickens; remove from the heat.
Stir in parmesan cheese; stir until melted.
Whisk in the yogurt until combined.
Season with salt, oregano, and pepper.  The sauce will continue to thicken as it stands.  Set aside.

Heat olive oil in another skillet (or place the sauce elsewhere to use the same skillet).
Add the green onions and salt and allow to cook.
Add the spinach and cook for 2 more minutes, or until wilted.
Add the orzo to the skillet and stir in the prepared sauce.
Remove from the heat and transfer to the prepared casserole dish.
Sprinkle the top with the remaining grated cheese.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, remove from the oven, and serve.
 
Cold Chocolate Snacking Cake
*adapted from TheViewFromGreat Island.com

Ingredients:

3/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder

Instructions:
 
Set the oven to 350 degrees.
Spray a brownie pan with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, whisk the cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
In a larger bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then beat in the vanilla.  Reduce the speed of the mixer to low.  Add the flour mixture alternating with some yogurt, starting and ending with the flour mixture.

Spread the batter into the  prepared pan. Tap the pan firmly on the counter several times to force out large air bubbles.  Bake for about 40 minutes.

To make the frosting, heat the chocolate in a glass/metal bowl over a pot of simmering water, stirring occasionally until melted.  Add the cream and stir until smooth.
Add the sugar and cocoa powder and whisk until completely smooth.  Pour the topping over the cooled cake.  Put the cake in the refrigerator to chill and set the frosting for a couple of hours.  Serve cold, and store in the fridge.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment