Monday, May 25, 2015

Ali Cooks: Slow Cooker Deep Dish Pizza

 Pizza in a slow cooker.  Sounds doable.  I mean, you make ANYTHING in a slow cooker, right?  (I'm not completely sure on that, but let me know if you find out that it's true...)

I wanted to give it a shot.  I have this slow cooker taking up space in the kitchen, so I might as well put it to work, right?!  Right!  The funny thing is I couldn't remember where I'd seen this recipe before.  I thought I'd saved it on Foodgawker.  (Wrong.)  I thought maybe I had pinned it on Pinterest.  (Wrong.)  Luckily, Brian was present while I was looking furiously, and he simply searched for it in Food Network's website.  Seems that I must have seen it done on The Kitchen.  And it also seems that I feel obliged to get especially creative with this recipe, as I feel that I have differed from the original instructions slightly.

 
Slow Cooker Deep Dish Pizza
*adapted from FoodNetwork.com & ICampInMyKitchen.com

Ingredients:
1 2/3 cup bread flour
2/3 cup warm water
1 tsp yeast
1 tsp salt
1/4 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs oil
8 oz. block of mozzerella
1/2 cup pizza or pasta sauce of your choice
1 Tbs grated Parmesan

Instructions:

Add the flour, salt, yeast and sugar in a bowl.  Combine the oil with the lukewarm water.  Now slowly add this water mixture to the flour mix and stir with a spatula to incorporate, forming a dough.

Let the dough rest for 2 hours minimum.  Once rested the dough can be used immediately or can be refrigerated for a week and used.
 Preheat the slow cooker on high for approximately 20 minutes.  Spray the slow cooker insert with nonstick cooking spray.

On a clean surface, stretch, roll and form the dough into roughly the same shape as the slow cooker insert.  Place the dough in the cooker and spread it out if necessary.  Cook on high, UNCOVERED, for 1 hour without toppings.


Using a spatula, loosen the crust from the bottom of the slow cooker and carefully flip it.  Allow to cook for approximately 10 more minutes.  Next, shingle the mozzarella slices over the dough and up the sides about 1 inch above the crust.  Overlap each slice until the perimeter is covered. Follow with a small layer of the sauce. Sprinkle with the Parmesan.

Cook on high until the cheesy crust is dark and caramelized and the bottom is firm and brown, approximately another hour.  


Carefully take the pizza out of the slow cooker using a spatula. 

This recipe used a 4-quart slow cooker.  If yours is a different size, decrease or increase the amount of dough if necessary.  Regardless of the cooker size, make sure the dough is mostly cooked through before adding the toppings.  The middle should be slightly firm to the touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment