Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Ali Cooks: Sunshine 'Pot Pie'

I don't like photography.

This is an important revelation for me that I may or may not have expanded on previously.  But my public declaration of this truth may mean a few things for my blog:

1)  I may not take/post as many photos.

2)  I may not post as many 'high quality' photos.  (As if many of my photos were 'high quality!'  Ha!)

3)  I may not spend money on a nice camera for quite a few years.

A lot of my dislike for photography has to do with my lack of patience.  I also have a lack of caring for the outcome of the photo, especially if I'm distracted from a delicious meal that I'm about to eat...or if I just got done strenuously cooking/baking and exerted all of my expendable energy into that endeavor.

But:  I'm ok with this.

I love to cook and bake.  And that's enough for me.  For the last few years, I have been blogging to prove my passion to others on social media.  The people who I care about and who care about me are quite aware of my passion for food.  There's less of a need to continue 'capturing' my accomplishments.

I still love sharing my cooking/baking ventures, but perhaps I'll not take photos for some recipes.  Or perhaps I'll veer away from food for some blog posts.

We'll see.

Perhaps this blog will experience an evolution.

Who knows...

What I DO know is I love mushrooms.  AND I successfully poached an egg.  This is a feat that I've been striving for for years.  Follow the below steps carefully, and you'll not only have your own poached egg, but you'll also have a delicious vegetarian pot pie.

Yum!

 
Sunshine 'Pot Pie'
*adapted from BakeYourDay.net and Good Eats:  The Early Years

Ingredients:
 Frozen Puff Pastry
4-8 Eggs
Vinegar
Salt
2 Tbs butter
1 Tbs olive oil
2 large portabella mushrooms, chopped
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried sage
2 Tbs flour
2 cups milk
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Salt
Pepper

Instructions:

 Follow the package directions to preheat the oven for the puff pastry and place in oven on a greased baking sheet once preheated.

In a skillet or frying pan, melt the butter and olive oil together.  Add some salt, followed by the mushrooms, thyme, and sage.  Cook for approximately 10-12 minutes, until the mushrooms are soft and fragrant.

Sprinkle in the flour and stir constantly for 2-3 minutes, until the mixture is bubbly.  Add the milk, parmesan, and nutmeg, stirring lightly.  Allow the gravy to simmer, stirring occasionally while it thickens.

Meanwhile, prepare the water to poach the egg.  This process will differ, depending on how many eggs you decide to poach at once.  To poach one egg, add approximately three inches of water to a small pot.  Add 1/2 tsp of vinegar, followed by 1/4 tsp of salt and heat on medium, just until it starts to simmer.  Crack the egg in a ramekin and stir the water in a circular motion, creating a whirlpool.  Quickly but carefully slide the egg into the swirling simmering water.  Turn off the heat, cover the pot, and let sit for five minutes.  When finished, scoop the egg out of the water and serve, assembling the pot pie as described below.
 
For multiple eggs, use a shallow but larger pan and increase the vinegar to 2 tsp and salt to 1 tsp.

For assembling the pot pie, place the puff pastry on a plate, smother it in the mushroom gravy, and top with the poached egg.

Voila!  Creamy, savory 'pot pie!'

No comments:

Post a Comment