Friday, April 3, 2015

Ali Cooks: Crockpot Potato Soup

Two accomplishments yesterday:  FINALLY using the crockpot Brian and I got for Christmas AND finding out that I successfully made a soup that Brian likes!  (YES!)

I'm pretty proud of myself, so just ignore the self-bragging, haha.  I was a tiny bit scared that the crockpot would burn the apartment down (which it didn't).  Instead, I got home from work yesterday to an apartment that smelled glorious!!!

I was also a little naughty and added some garlic and onion to the soup.  My stomach troubles seem to be slowly but surely going away, so I can be permitted a few liberties...right?!  

Anyway, this soup can do a lot.  You can add sour cream, chives, five different cheeses, sun-dried tomatoes (...ooo...why didn't I do that?!), or whatever suits your fancy.

 Nothing to lose here except a great-tasting soup!  And yes, I know, I'm a little off making soup once the warm weather starts coming, but I don't live by the rule books anyway!

One last thing--Brian and I sliced our cheese and put it on top of the soup.  Not the best idea.  Go ahead and grate away for more of a cheesy mixture to stir throughout your soup.  Yum!


Crockpot Potato Soup
*adapted from HomemadeWithLove.com

Ingredients:
7 Small/Medium Potatoes, peeled and diced
1 garlic cloves, chopped
2 spring onions, chopped
2 cup vegetable broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 Tbs dried dill
3 Tbs butter
3 Tbs flour
2 cups milk
1/2 cup plain yogurt
Cheese of choice
Bacon, cooked and crumbled

Instruction:

Put the onions, garlic, potatoes, broth, salt, dill, and pepper into the crockpot.  Cook on high for four hours or on low 8 hours, until fork tender. 

Use a potato masher and mash the potatoes to preferred consistency.  Make sure the potato mixture is now on low (some water can be added to keep everything moist).

In a sauce pan over medium heat add the butter and flour.  Whisk together until the mixture starts to bubble. 

Take the pan off the heat and slowly add the milk while
continuously whisking.  Put the pan back over the heat and keep whisking till it slightly thickens.  (This can take one to three minutes.)

Pour the milk mixture and the yogurt into the crockpot and combine well with the potato mixture.  Taste test and add more seasoning, if needed.
Sprinkle shredded cheese and/or crumbled bacon over the top...and then enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment