Sunday, March 8, 2015

Ali Cooks: Pita Bread

FOODGAWKER IS BROKEN!  Just kidding...but I couldn't access my recipes when I was ready for kitchen time earlier.  Luckily I have a pretty smart, tech-savvy guy who came to my rescue.  He basically rolled his eyes and said, "Ali, you made pita bread last week, so the link will be in your browser history."  (And there was probably an internal eye-roll, but that's neither here nor there.)

So yeah, I still could access the recipe and bake bread so that sandwiches can be a viable option this week.  And yes, I DID make pita bread last week, but I am ashamed to say that the result was not that successful.  Today's batch was wayyyyy better, (though I did still eat last week's pitas).  The secret:  MAKE SURE THE WATER IS AT 110 DEGREES!  Seriously, check the water temp before adding it to the dry stuff.  It will make a huge difference.

Also, I'm trying to make all my own bread from this point forward.  We'll see how successful I am, but this is technically week three, and it's been good so far.  Weekends are for doing things that I enjoy, and I enjoy being in the kitchen--hence, bread-baking time!

Also.  FoodGawker needs to get fixed.  ASAP.
That is all.


Pita Bread
*adapted from HeathersFrenchPress.com

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 envelope of active yeast
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder 
1 cup of water {warm - about 110 degrees}
2 Tbs melted butter

Instructions:


Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Make a well in the center
and pour in approximately 2/3 cup of water, and the melted butter.  Knead the dough until you have a soft, very smooth ball (add additional water, if needed).  Cover the dough, and let it rest for one hour.
 
Divide the ball into 6 equal pieces and roll each portion into a ball.  Flatten the individual balls into discs and let them rest while the oven preheats to 500 degrees.  Place three pitas on a baking sheet at a time and bake for 7-8 minutes (watch them carefully, as they can burn quickly!).  The pita will be light golden in color, and puffed when ready.  (The second batch may bake quicker than the first since the oven will already be hot).  Cool on a baking rack and enjoy or store for later!

No comments:

Post a Comment