Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Ali Bakes: Maple Granola

I made something, intending for Brian to eat it for breakfast...but it somehow might be more fitting for dessert!

See molasses is powerful stuff.  And when you add chocolate chips, magical things happen and the dish becomes...really sweet/sugary.  Regardless, Brian ate some for breakfast, but we'll have to see if it becomes dessert this evening, haha!

What did I make?!  Well, you should have read this blog post title because I already told you.  (Just kidding!)  Maple granola.  And somehow, the original recipe creator thought that chocolate chips are a usual add-in for maple granola.  So...I followed the recipe!

Side note:  I have really been happy knowing that I can turn to cooking/baking these past few days.  I have been diagnosed with a neumothorax, which is a fancy term for a collapsed lung--though mine is only a small hole between the lung and the membrane.  It's hard to breathe sometimes, I have sporadic chest pain, and I am fatigued...so being in the kitchen is exactly what I've needed to bring my spirits up.

I hope you all are healthy and well today and every day in the near future.  Now on to the granola...


Maple Granola
*adapted from TheWhiteRamekins.com

Ingredients:
1 cup oats
1 cup shredded coconut
2 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
2/3 cup maple syrup or molasses
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
1 egg white
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Instructions:


Mix all the ingredients except the egg white and chocolate chips in a large bowl.  Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.

In a separate small bowl, whisk the egg white until frothy.  Add the egg white to the oat mixture and stir to combine.

Spread the mixture evenly onto a greased baking sheet.  Bake for about 45-55 minutes until golden brown.  (It may look burnt, but it will still be tender--molasses especially browns quite a bit.)  About halfway through the baking time, carefully turn the granola to bake it evenly on all sides.

Once done, let the granola cool completely.  Once cooled, mix in the chocolate chips.  At your leisure--enjoy! 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment