Friday, December 5, 2014

Ali Bakes: Coconut Pie

Who would believe that something labeled as a 'French' dessert would be SO EASY?!  Yep, the below creation is technically a 'French' coconut pie, though I took it off the title of my blog because I don't feel like it's appropriate here.  But seriously, this is the easiest thing from-scratch that I've ever made.  Though, I'll be honest in saying that the pie crust is in no way from-scratch.  (Brian had a leftover pre-made pie crust in the freezer that I helped myself to--with his permission, of course!)

Yesterday, I was actually not in the mood to bake at all.  It's quite a shock because I'm almost ALWAYS in the mood to bake.  But I've had a progressively worsening stomach ache this week, and yesterday was BAD.  I finally forced myself into the kitchen around 5pm, and boy was I glad I did.  The smells from that pie were a-mazing!  And in typical Ali fashion, I couldn't stand to leave it in the oven for the full 45 minutes...so when I took it out after 40 minutes, it ended up being a tad runny, even an hour or so later.



Ah well, it was still absolutely delicious!  And Brian had never had a coconut pie before, so I was happy to introduce him to one of my new favorite desserts to make!  I can't say that the pie cured my stomachache, but it sure did make things a little better while enjoying Peter Pan Live on NBC last night.

Today my stomach is better--I'm not cured of my usual symptoms, but at least I'm mobile and capable of baking!  (Though there will still be plenty of pie around to satisfy Brian and me for a few more days!)


Coconut Pie
*adapted from DramaticPancake.com

Ingredients:
1/2 cup or 1 stick of melted butter
1½ cups sugar
3 eggs
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla

Instructions:

Preheat oven at 350°F.  Combine all of the filling ingredients and pour in unbaked pie shell (frozen pie shells should be used in frozen state).  Bake for 45 minutes until golden brown.



*I'm not sure the exact rule on this, but I store my coconut pie in the refrigerator to preserve it and keep it fresh!  It's like a custard pie...right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment