Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Ali Cooks: Turkey Meatballs (What?!)

This is a blog post outlining my adventures cooking meat.  No, I did not eat the meat.  But I cooked it nonetheless, which is a momentous occasion to document in my blog.  

See, I'm a nice person.  Brian was having friends over yesterday, had extravagant plans to cook them a hearty dinner...and then remembered that he wouldn't be home until some time after 7pm.  In addition, he needed ingredients to cook up the planned meal of parmesan buttered noodles and turkey meatballs.  Lucky for him, I was willing to head to the store to purchase his ingredients for him...AND to mix up his meatball concoction so that it would simply be waiting for his arrival home to pop into the oven.

I was scared to touch the raw turkey meat.  I mean, maybe not 'scared,' but let's be real, raw meat weirds me out.  It's slimy and gross-looking.  So I did NOT touch the raw meat (I don't care what the recipe told me to do!).  I didn't want raw meat goo all up in my fingernails.  Yech.

I even got to remind myself what it's like to mince garlic, since I can't eat garlic myself.  These meatballs were certainly not for me, so I followed the recipe pretty exactly (minus the fact that the recipe was originally for terriyaki meatballs, and I adjusted accordingly).

Things turned out ok, though.  I won't take credit for the actual baking of the meatballs, since I was a little anxious about them and left it to Brian to determine that they were done after 35 minutes and that they WEREN'T burnt but merely caramelized--which is the way he prefers his meatballs.


Regardless, I did it.  And I will remind you that I did not try them myself (obviously), but I got some pretty good reviews from the tasters in attendance to last night's dinner.


Turkey Meatballs
*adapted from BudgetBytes.com

Ingredients:
1 lb. Ground turkey
1 Large egg
½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
1 clove Garlic, minced
1 tsp Ground ginger
½ tsp Sherry vinegar
2 green onions
Black pepper
 
Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Place the ground turkey in a large bowl and add the ginger and garlic.  Slice the green onions and add them to the bowl.  Also add the egg, breadcrumbs, vinegar, and black pepper.
 
Mix these ingredients really well until it is all evenly combined (clean hands or large spoon will work).  
 
Grease a baking sheet and roll the meatball mixture into small balls, about one inch in diameter.
 
Place the meatballs on the baking sheet as you roll them.  Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown (about 35 minutes).

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment