Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Ali Cooks: Cornbread Quiche Muffins

I needed to use cornmeal.  Brian bought it, he is gone this week, and I need to use it!  Haha, just kidding, he said I could, which I interpreted as a go-ahead to make something delicious and then tell him about it during our phone chat last night.  I explained the cornbread quiche muffins were delicious and that he would love them because he can't taste the egg THAT much in them!  He then confessed that he *thinks* he might legitimately like eggs now!  Regardless, I'll have to make these lovely little buttercup-shaded muffins when he's actually around--or maybe there will be one leftover when he comes back...we'll see what happens.
 
And hey, self-assessment here, but I'd say my iPhone photography skills are improving!  I'd appreciate the feedback on the photos, for better or for worse.
 
I was pretty glad that the muffies worked out and were yummy because I had to turn down a dinner invitation yesterday to an even yummier-sounding place that unfortunately has onion and garlic in every dish.  I was being a responsible adult last night by opting out and saving my stomach for things that I will actually be able to digest.  Bleh.  But at least I used up some of the eggs in my fridge, right?!
 
 
Cornbread Quiche Muffins
*adapted from couponcloset.net & immaeatthat.com
 
Ingredients:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 + 1/2 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
3/4 cup almond milk
1/8 cup + 1 tbs olive oil
1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
chopped green onion, to taste
salt/pepper, to taste
 
Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Make the cornbread mix in a small bowl by combining the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder.  Add the cornbread mix, 1 egg, almond milk, and olive oil.  Mix the cornbread until a smooth batter is formed.  Set aside.
In a separate bowl, mix together the 3 eggs and Greek yogurt until smooth.  Stir in the green onion and some salt/pepper.  Spray the muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray.  Place a spoonful of cornbread batter into each muffin tin.  Each muffin tin should be a little less than half full with batter (not very full at all).  On top of the cornbread batter, spoon the egg-veggie mixture until the muffin tins are just under full.  Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the egg is set.  Run a knife around each muffin and remove from muffin tins.  Allow to cool slightly on a cooling rack before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment