Friday, May 23, 2014

Ali Cooks: Meatless Shepherd's Pie

Brian had never had Shepherd's Pie!  And I hadn't had it since I became a vegetarian! 
Is it really possible?!  Could I have made a Shepherd's Pie that both Brian and I would eat?!
The answer:  Yes.  Yes indeed.  I will admit that most of this recipe is based on my own additions/substitutions/alterations, so I'm pretty proud of it!  And if one day I can actually perfect my mashed-potato-making, then I'd say I've got this recipe down pat!


Welcome to the weekend, everybody!  Consider whipping up a batch of meatless Shepherd's Pie--but only if you're willing to turn the oven on!
Meatless Shepherd's Pie
*Adapted from delifromthevalley.blogspot.de
Ingredients:
For the mashed potatoes:
3 small potatoes or 2 medium potatoes
1/2 cup almond milk (more/less)
Salt/Pepper
Chili Powder to taste

For the sauce:
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp mustard
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/3 cup sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
For the vegetable filling:
Olive oil
3 green onion sprigs 
7oz firm tofu
1 cup corn
Pepper
Instructions:
Peel the potatoes and boil in salted water until all potatoes slice through the center easily.  Mash them, mixing with almond milk, salt, pepper, and chili powder. 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix the sauce ingredients and set aside.  Chop the green onion and also dice the tofu into cubes.  Heat the olive oil in a pan and fry the tofu, adding the green onion at the end. 

Add the frozen corn and the sauce, seasoning to taste.  Simmer for ten minutes.  Place the sauce/tofu mixture in a medium-sized baking dish.  Spread the mashed potatoes on top.  









 

Cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until the potatoes are golden brown and the contents are bubbling. 


 Cool for a few minutes and then enjoy!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment