Sunday, September 22, 2013

Ali Bakes: Nutella & Peanut Butter Graham Bars with Chocolate Frosting

It seems as if I've been here before...
 
In bed on what is typically 'early morning' for late-Sunday-morning-risers.  Well, I'm not a late-Sunday-morning-riser by any means.  But here I am, typing away at my blog (from last Sunday...) while Brian sleeps.
 
Brian picked the recipe we made last weekend.  It just sounded good to him as I was reading off our options.  I didn't argue about it because it required we buy more Nutella--and there is never anything wrong with that!  I didn't mention the fact that we had made Nutella-like bars the week before.  Or the fact that the birthday girl who was to receive one of the bars had eaten the other Nutella bars, too.  Whatever.  It's sweet.  It looked and sounded delicious.  It fits the bill.

 
The unfortunate thing is that I remember being especially cranky last Sunday while on this baking venture.  I snapped at Brian left and right.  I'll blame it on having woken up so early and deciding to bake at 3pm.  I napped afterward, but I'd say it was at least 45 minutes too late.  Now, let's hope THAT doesn't happen again today!  (Though I actually don't have plans to bake today.)
 
One last thing before I get the recipe rolled out:  These bars taste GREAT if you store them in the freezer!  The recipe even calls for thawing them, but seriously, not even necessary.  I didn't believe Brian when he initially bit into his freshly frozen Nutella bar, but my impatience got the best of me on a separate occasion, and now I'm a Believer.  I challenge you to give it a shot some time.  Delicious.

 
Nutella & Peanut Butter Graham Bars with Chocolate Frosting
*Adapted from AverieCooks.com
 
Ingredients:
 
For Bars:
1 cup melted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (food processor comes in handy!)
1/2 cup Nutella
2/3 cup peanut butter
 
For Frosting:
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
 
In a large bowl, add the freshly melted butter, brown sugar, powdered sugar, and vanilla.  Stir until combined. 

 
Add graham cracker crumbs and stir until combined.  Add Nutella and peanut butter.  Stir until combined.

 
Spray a 9x9 pan and press mixture into the pan.  Place in freezer.
 
 
Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl, checking/stirring every 15-30 seconds.  Stir chocolate chips, butter, and milk into a bowl.  Add powdered sugar and vanilla; stir. 


 
Remove bars from freezer and spread on the frosting.  Return frosted bars to freezer for a least a half hour before slicing. 

Store in freezer.


 
Enjoy your Nutella treats--I promise next time I'll make something without Nutella!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment