Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Ali Cooks: Rice Pudding

A short and sweet post...not unlike myself?!
 
Haha, just kidding.  But an accompaniment of Sunday night's non-dinner dinner party was a lightly sweetened coconut milk rice pudding.  I had been craving rice pudding.  I found out Brian had never had rice pudding.  I checked that both Matt and Megan liked rice pudding.
 
And rice pudding was made.
 
 
I was super-tired when making said rice pudding.  I instructed Brian (and Matt and Megan, too!) to keep a close eye on me in the kitchen because the sleepies were taking hold, and I hadn't had a nap.  Less than one minute later--I opened the can of coconut milk and sliced my thumb.  Drat!  I felt like a child, haha.  Luckily Brian knew where my secret stash of band-aids are kept (in my wallet!), and the Snoopy design made me feel better about life in general.  (Though the Snoopy design also made me feel like a child even more.)
 
Without any further injuries, the rice pudding was successfully completed and served with the Reese's Stuffed Brownies and Matt's Basil/Gin cocktail.  It might not have been your complete dinner full of nutritiousness, but it was pretty darn tasty!
 
 
Rice Pudding
*Adapted from Greatist.com
 
Ingredients:
1 can of coconut milk
2 cups cooked rice
2 tbs maple syrup
cinnamon to taste
 
Instructions:
 
Shake the coconut milk in the can and add to a pot.  Simmer over medium heat.  Add the maple syrup and stir.  Add the rice and stir again.  Sprinkle cinnamon over the top and stir.  Ensure that it is still simmering (heat adjustment may be needed) and allow the liquid to mostly boil off (5-10 minutes), stirring occasionally.  At this point, it should be ready to serve, but further cinnamon/maple syrup  adjustments are encouraged. 
 

Scraping the pot to get the goodness at the bottom is optional.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment