Saturday, July 20, 2013

Ali Cooks: Quinoa Patties with Dill Dipping Sauce

What does one do when one has a moderate amount of frozen yogurt at 4:30pm?
 
Well, I bake when I return home.  And then, I cook 'dinner.'  I may be eating after 8pm, but it's OK!  Kitchen time is like activity time for me.  It's a hobby.  It keeps me busy.  And I love it.
 
Food as an end product is just an added bonus!  I'd actually been meaning to make this recipe two weeks ago, but circumstances didn't allow for it.  I think I had meant to make it a time before that, too.  So today, was a long overdue recipe-making occasion.  Quinoa Patties MUST be accomplished!
 
And they were!  Along with the creamy dill dipping sauce with fresh dill from the neighbor's garden.  Dang, I really want a garden.  Maybe I'll restart my mini herb garden when I move to Terre Haute...
 
Random facts about this dish:
 
~Quinoa has lots of PROTEIN in it!
 
~Greek yogurt (in dipping sauce) has lots of PROTEIN in it!)
 
~Measurements are extremely difficult because my quinoa cooks in 1-cup increments.  And that's one cup pre-cooked.  So it equates to 3 cups cooked.  So I cooked half a cup and got 1.5 cups of cooked quinoa.  Everything was eye-balled and approximated from there.  So...bear with me.
 
 
Quinoa Patties with Dill Dipping Sauce
*Adapted from GingerBearKitchen.com
 
Ingredients:
~1 cup cooked quinoa
2 eggs, beaten
~1/4 cup chopped parsley
~3 stalks of green onion, chopped
~1/4 cup chopped spinach
~1/2 tsp cumin
salt
pepper
~1/2 tsp baking powder
~1/2 cup breadcrumbs (I like Panko)
~1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
~1 cup plain Greek yogurt
~2 tbs fresh dill, chopped
 
Instructions:
 
Prepare all of your ingredients by chopping, grating, and measuring as much as possible.  Also cook your quinoa.  Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, as well.
 
 
First mix quinoa and eggs in a large bowl.  Add in parsley, green onion, spinach, cumin, salt, and pepper.  Stir.
 
 
Add the baking powder and breadcrumbs.  Wait about five minutes for the breadcrumbs to absorb the moisture a bit.  Stir in the parmesan cheese.
 
 
Prepare a baking sheet by greasing it well with either nonstick spray or olive oil.  (Seriously, grease it WELL.  Mine stuck quite a bit.)  Form medium-sized patties by scooping ladle-sized portions onto the sheet and shaping them into circles (I got six patties from these measurements).  Flatten the tops with your spoon.  Bake for about 20 minutes.
 
 
While patties are baking, mix the dill and Greek yogurt in a small bowl.  Add in salt and pepper to taste.  Chill in the fridge until it's time to serve.
 
 
After 20 minutes, finish the patties by flipping them and baking for about 3-5 more minutes in the oven.  Let them cool slightly and serve with the dill dipping sauce on the side.
 
 Like what you see here?  Why not become a regular blog-reader?!  Subscribe!  You'll get an automatic email when there's a new blog post.  And what's not awesome and exciting about THAT?!
 

Cook well, bake often, and eat lots!  Much love from the chef!


No comments:

Post a Comment