Sunday, December 13, 2015

Ali Cooks: Jalapeno & Cheese Taquitos

What an upside-down week.

The strange thing:  I can't exactly pinpoint WHY my week is so all-around out of the ordinary.  It's probably because of a lot of little things that are adding up and making my head hurt.

Not completely in a bad way.  A lot of the things are just regular reminders that I'm an adult.

When I was being an adult this weekend, I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I mean, when do I NOT enjoy cooking/baking in my kitchen?!  (Except for kitchen injuries...which have been happening more frequently than I'd like lately!)

Sunday's kitchen ventures produced taquitos.  I was actually quite proud of myself because they crisped up nicely when frying--something I've never been able to achieve before.  The only issue was that I did not wait for the tortillas to heat up enough for the first one I attempted and it fell apart when I rolled it.  Other than that, the rest were great!  (Although I totally didn't use enough cheese.  HOW COULD I?!)

My challenge to any readers out there:  come up with or suggest a yummy sauce for these taquitos!  They could use a little something else...

Jalapeno & Cheese Taquitos
*Adapted from CouponClippingCook.com

Ingredients:
12 corn tortillas
2+ cups of grated cheese (you choose the variety!)
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and thinly sliced lengthwise (about 12 slices per jalapeno)
½ cup vegetable oil (amount may vary depending on the size of the pan)
Green onion, chopped

Instructions:

Arrange the tortillas on a baking sheet and heat in a preheated oven just enough for them to become soft and flexible. Sprinkle a handful of cheese horizontally on the tortilla about a 1/4 of the way from the edge that is closest to you.  Add a strip of jalapeno on each side of the cheese, along with a sprinkling of green onion and fold the left and right sides of the tortilla in toward the cheese and jalapenos.  As tightly as possible, roll the tortilla to form a taquito.


Heat a medium size skillet on medium heat and add the canola oil.

 Let the oil heat for a couple
minutes and then add the taquitos to the pan with the fold side down.  When the bottom sides of the taquitos turn a golden color, turn them over to the other side.  Continue to turn them over until all sides are a golden color. Transfer the taquitos to a plate with a cloth to drain of any excess oil.  Serve while hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment