Sunday, November 8, 2015

Ali Cooks: Spinach Cake

Life is busy.  But I like the balance.  Just make sure I have my Sundays mostly free to grocery shop, bake bread, do laundry, and freshen things up in the apartment, and I'm a happy camper.  (Note:  not ALL of these things need to happen on Sundays!)

Busy life means less time in the kitchen, but when that means I'm having new experiences, elsewhere, I suppose it's ok.  I DID spend some time last Sunday in my lovely kitchen, whipping up a super-easy dinner for Brian and myself that did last me all week.  

Spinach Cake.  Sound gross?  I swear it's not.  It's delicious, actually.  If you like cheese, bread, and a hint of egg-y goodness, this spinach cake will satisfy you alright.

Also, this may sound strange, but I like to eat things cold (for laziness and variety of flavor).  This one pasts the 'cold test,' so if you're anything like me, give it a shot without the warm-up for leftovers.  I think the brine-y feta kinda gives off a pickled taste when you eat it cold, so that's pretty interesting.


Spinach Cake
*Adapted from ItalianChips.com

Ingredients:
3 eggs

100 ml milk
~1.5 cups flour
1 Tbs of baking powder

1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

2 cups feta cheese
150 ml of vegetable oil
chopped parsley leaves
Fresh/dry herbs
3 large handfuls of fresh spinach
salt
pepper


Instructions:

Grease a large loaf pan.

Roughly chop the spinach and set aside.
In a large bowl lightly beat the eggs and add the milk, oil, herbs, salt and pepper.  Then add the flour and baking powder, whisking to combine.

When the mixture is well combined add the feta cheese, crumbling it with your fingers, followed by the mozzarella cheese, the spinach. and the parsley.



Pour the mixture into the pan and let it rest for approximately 20 minutes.
Bake the spinach cake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.  Let cool slightly to set up and then cut in to enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment