Sunday, September 27, 2015

Ali Cooks: Curd Rice with Cucumber

Last Sunday was the first official day that Brian, Bailey, and I lived in our apartment with ALL of our stuff.  It was a chaotic weekend...but amidst it all, I wanted to COOK.  And cook I did.  Yes, it was low-key...but I still got a chance to be in my new kitchen and start making it feel more like home.

I honestly thought I'd be too tired to make anything for dinner (dunno what I would have done with my hungry tummy if that were the case...).  But nope!  Post-grocery-shopping, I was totally down to use my newly-purchased ingredients.  And below you'll find the tasty results!

MY Dinner.
BRIAN'S Dinner.
I don't know what makes this recipe 'curd' rice except for the fact that it's adapted from an Indian cooking blog...and I took out a ton of the Indian ingredients to allow my sensitive stomach to actually eat and enjoy it.  The yogurt/milk/cucumber additions (with the kick of jalapeno) were extremely tasty still!  I even experimented with eating it cold for lunches, and that was good, too!

Excited for dinner in our apartment!
This recipe seems easily adaptable, so even when you think there's no energy to whip up dinner...there IS hope!  Enjoy!


Curd Rice with Cucumber

*adapted from TheVeggieIndian.com

Ingredients:
1 cup rice
1 cup plain yogurt
½ cup milk
1 Tbs butter
1 cup grated cucumber
Parsley
Salt
1-2 jalapenos, chopped very small
1/2 tsp ground ginger 
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp Mustard
Other spices/herbs to taste

Instructions:

Cook the rice as normal, mashing it up with a potato masher in the pan once it's done. 
Add the yogurt, butter, and milk and mix again until it all comes together. Let it cool down a bit.

Add the grated cucumber, jalapeno, ginger and parsley along with the salt, chili powder, mustard, and any other spices or herbs that you choose. Mix well and check the taste to adjust as needed.


Serve warm or chilled, your choice. (Both are delicious!)

No comments:

Post a Comment