Friday, April 17, 2015

Ali Cooks: Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Casserole

I love squash.  I have not yet met a squash that I don't like.  I could eat squash just about any day.  Any squash, any season.  Don't mess with my squash too much though.  Sugar really doesn't belong in my squash.  Too much butter or salt--naw.  BUT complement my squash with just the right amount of flavor, and I'm one happy camper.

And hey--I think Brian might be the same kind of squash love as me!  You'll have to ask him yourself, but he has enjoyed every single squash that I've made him so far.  Which is AWESOME.  Of course, most squashes (or at least the most delicious ones) are super difficult to cut.  I like think that it's nature's way of making us work for our sustenance.  Luckily, Brian and I worked together (though he probably did most of the 'work'), and we broke into our squash juuuuuust fine.

Believe it or not, the below squash creation (which is actually pretty different from either of the recipes that inspired it) DID result in an injury.  While vigorously grating the ever-so-delicious cheddar cheese, I grated my thumb.  I was super hungry and frustrated (loooong day), and apparently I thought swift grating would result in dinner faster.  Not true.  Pretty sure I about gave Brian a heart attack because I did the worst thing possible:  LOOKED AT THE INJURY.

Needless to say, I screamed, cried, and was then bandaged up by Brian.  What a trooper.  (Him not me!)

And...about an hour later, I finally got my dinner.  Thankfully, it was worth the tears!


Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Casserole
*adapted from KitchenTreaty.com and FoodDoodles.com

Ingredients:

2 Tbs butter
3 Tbs flour
1 1/2 tsp mustard powder
1  1/4 cup milk (room temperature)
1 large spaghetti squash
2 1/2 – 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
Chives, chopped
Parsley, chopped
Salt/Pepper to taste

Instructions:

With a very sharp knife, slice the squash in half lengthwise.
Use a spoon to scrape out the seeds.  (Feel free to save them, rinse them, dry them, season them, and bake them!)

Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
Place cut sides down on a baking sheet and put the sheet into the oven.  Bake for about 40 minutes, or until you can easily pierce the squash with a fork.  Let cool until squash is cool enough to handle.  With a fork, scrape out the spaghetti-like strands into a mixing bowl.

Decrease the oven temperature to 350 degrees.  In a small pot, melt the butter and then add the flour.  Whisk together, allowing the butter and flour mixture to cook for a couple minutes while whisking constantly to prevent it from burning.  The mixture should be bubbling and sizzling.  

Once it’s cooked for a minute or two, whisk the mustard powder into the flour mixture, followed by the milk.  Whisk very well to combine the flour and the milk.  Cook until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil, adding salt and pepper for seasoning.  Lower the heat, add the cheese, and mix well.  Cook just until the cheese has melted into the sauce, then remove from the heat.  Add a little more cheese as needed.

Move the spaghetti squash to a large, greased pie plate.  (The spaghetti squash may need to be drained if water has remained after cooking.)  If extra squash does not fit into the pie plate, feel free to freeze or refrigerate for another time.  Pour the cheese sauce onto the top of the spaghetti squash, followed by additional seasonings, the chives, and parsley.



Bake for 30-40 minutes, until bubbly around the edges.  Eat and enjoy a filling yet nutritious dinner dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment