Monday, March 30, 2015

Ali Cooks: Irish Soda Bread

 Updates on my life on this *lovely* Monday morning:

1)  My neck is STIFF.  So stiff I can hardly move.  AT ALL.  This is ridiculous!  And yes, I managed to make the below bread with my current condition, though I will admit that I questioned its completion as the pain progressed...

2)  Soda bread has a coating that splashes, burns, sizzles, and makes a smoky mess of the area where it's being baked.  Not a huge deal for most, but I'm hyper-neurotic about fire alarms going off, so this morning involved a little anxiety.

I can't really focus much more at the moment, so bare with me as I try to figure out how to function in my current state of neck pain...


Irish Soda Bread
*adapted from EverydayDishes.com

Ingredients:
4 cups flour
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1½ cups buttermilk
1 egg, beaten
½ cup unsalted butter, melted
2 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
2 Tbs buttermilk

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.  In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. 
 

In a separate smaller mixing bowl, combine the buttermilk with the beaten egg. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and pour buttermilk and egg mixture along with the melted butter into the well and stir just until a ball of dough forms.

Form the dough into a cohesive ball and place on the prepared baking sheet.  Pat the dough into about an 8"–9" round loaf (the loaf will be 3"–4" thick in the center).  Use a sharp knife to cut an X into the top of the dough.
 
Combine the two tablespoons of  melted butter with the two tablespoons of buttermilk and brush/pour the entire amount onto the dough, covering the loaf.  Bake for 40–50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Remove from oven and cool until warm or room temperature, slice, and serve.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment