Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Ali Cooks: BBQ Tofu Mac & Cheese

I love BBQ sauce.  I have always liked it.  And the sweeter and thicker, the better!  I've always been a sauce-lover, but BBQ is extra special...despite the fact that it's typically served with meat.

Since I love BBQ sauce so much, I figured I should incorporate it into some dishes (...and use up a bottle of BBQ sauce that I think I've had since Texas...).  Mission accomplished on both accounts!  The only unsuccessful parts of this dish are as follows:

1)  It's not a very 'photogenic' dish.  (Meaning that I should have spiced up the photos with some green herbs but didn't buy any at the store.)

2)  Brian did NOT want to try it.  He HATES BBQ sauce, though I still told myself that he'd like this mac & cheese if he tried it.  I guess I won't find out since the smell alone turned him off.  Ah well, I'll keep trying!  ;)


BBQ Tofu Mac & Cheese
*adapted from HowSweetEats.com

Ingredients:
4 cups pasta shells
4 Tbs unsalted butter
4-5 sprigs green onion, chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
1/2 cup white cheddar cheese, freshly grated
1/2 cup gouda cheese, freshly grated
2 tsp dijon mustard
1 cup BBQ sauce
Package of tofu (firm or extra firm), pressed

Instructions:

After dicing the pressed tofu into one-inch cubes, toss it with 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce and set aside.

Next, heat a small pot over medium-low heat and add the butter, followed by the salt and pepper. Prepare the water for the pasta and bring to a boil.  The pasta will only need to cook for about five minutes because it will go directly with the hot cheese sauce.  (Try to time it so the pasta is done around the same time as the sauce.)

Increase the heat of the sauce pot  to medium and add the flour, whisking constantly to create a roux. Cook for five minutes, until golden and fragrant, stirring often.  Add in the milk, whisking constantly, and stir for another five minutes until slightly thickened.  Reduce the heat to medium-low and add in the grated cheeses, green onion, and the mustard.  Continue to stir until the sauce is creamy and the cheese has melted.  Add the sauce to the shells, scraping the sides of the pot, and stir to coat.  Then carefully toss in the marinated tofu, folding everything togethr.  Drizzle the rest of the BBQ sauce on top.
Serve immediately with desired toppings...green onions, bacon, parsley, cilantro--and more sauce, if desired!



Note: This reheats well--just add a splash of milk and stir, stir, stir.

No comments:

Post a Comment