Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Ali Cooks: Cold Chocolate Custard

A little bit of heavy whipping cream leftover from a recipe means you have to use it for dessert...right?  And it doesn't matter if the cream is just used to make whipped cream....you still need to make something chocolatey....right?

Totally justified in my opinion.  Which is why I made chocolate custard the other day.

Yes, I'm a little late on my blogging, but life has been pretty hectic.  Two online classes, working, doing a capstone, and managing my health has all been pretty overwhelming lately.  I remind myself that I need to balance all of the tasky things with some fun, some destressing, and some relaxation, so that's why I'm taking a mini break to post about my latest chocolatey creation.

The hardest part is waiting for the custards to set up.  (Or, in my case, digging through all of my packed up kitchen supplies to find my hand mixer...long story, haha).

Also, I recommend a different vessel to hold your custards...these glass cups were tricky to pour into cleanly, tricky to eat out of, and tricky to photograph.  Let me know if you try an alternative that works better!


Cold Chocolate Custard
*adapted from TheMeaningOfPie.com

Ingredients:
¾ cup milk
½ tsp vanilla
1 egg
pinch of salt
2 tbs sugar
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ cup heavy whipping cream
2 tbs powdered sugar

Instructions:

Place the milk in a small saucepan and bring it to a boil.  Meanwhile, put the egg, salt, chocolate chips, and sugar in a blender.  When the milk comes to a boil, remove it from the heat and add the vanilla.  Quickly and directly pour the milk into the blender.  Place the lid on the blender and turn it on.  Allow the blender to run for one minute.

Pour the custard into four containers of your choice.  Place the custard cups into the refrigerator for a minimum of three hours to allow them to thicken and cool.  (I highly recommend covering the custards to keep them fresh in the fridge!)

When you are ready to serve the custard, make the whipped cream.  In a cold bowl, use a hand mixer to whip the cream until thickened.  Next add the confectioners’ sugar and whip just until soft peaks form.  Place a dollop of cream on each custard cup.


No comments:

Post a Comment