Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Ali Cooks: Swiss Cheese Souffle

I did it!  I made a souffle!  (...kinda...)


I say 'kinda' because I've never had a souffle before, and I don't know if I did it right.  But I had four taste testers, so at least I can say that the below recipe is edible!

I think if I did it again, I would acquire additional herbs and more cheese.  Possibly smaller cubes of bread, too.  (Experiment and let me know if you find any of the above or other tweaks are good adjustments.


It was easy peasey cheesey...and that's all the rhyming words that are fitting.

Eat up!  And make sure to grease your souffle dish well to prevent the souffle from resisting its departure post-baking.  (First-hand experience with that struggle....)


Swiss Cheese Souffle
*adapted from womenio.com

Ingredients:
1 baguette
2 cups of hot milk
4 eggs
1 Tbs unsalted butter
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
¼ cup finely chopped green onion
Black pepper
½ tsp ground ginger
 
Instructions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cut the crust off of the baguette and chop the remaining bread into 1-inch pieces.  Place the bread in a medium bowl and pour the hot milk over it, coating the bread thoroughly.  Let the bread absorb all of the milk for about 15 minutes.

While the bread is absorbing the milk, separate the egg yolks and egg whites into two bowls.  Whisk the yolks together and add the cheese, scallions, and black pepper.  Stir well to combine and set aside.

Using a hand mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.  Pour the egg yolk mixture over the bread and milk and stir well to incorporate.

Grease a souffle dish with the butter.  Gently fold the egg whites into the bread mixture in three steps.  Carefully scoop the mixture into the souffle dish and then use a spatula to trace a 1-inch deep circle along the outside of the dish to help the souffle rise more in the middle.

Bake on the center rack of the oven for 45-50 minutes or until it’s puffed and golden brown.  Don’t open the oven to check on it; just peek through the door until the 45 minute mark

 

No comments:

Post a Comment