Sunday, November 23, 2014

Ali Cooks: S'mores Pancakes

Folks, I've moved to Michigan.  New adventures are on my horizon, and though I'll still be focused on my last two classes of my Master's program online for spring semester, I'm currently job-searching...

And with all of those big changes coming at me all at once, doesn't it sound like I need to get back in the kitchen and do what I've missed doing for so long?!  Yes, I agree.  Let's start out with some pancake-making.

Brian and I love making pancakes.  Sunday morning pancakes are some of the best kind.  Throw some chocolate in the mix, and life can't get any better.  So we decided to do what we do best and celebrate my move and my fresh start by making s'mores pancakes.  And THAT was a good decision in itself!


Also, we made our pancakes without having an actual spatula (mine was packed and Brian's...well, Brian doesn't believe in spatulas, I guess).  Therefore, judgment must be minimal.  Seriously, I'm proud of the pancakes that survived, though 'survival' is a relative term, considering almost all of them were eaten shortly after making it onto a plate...

Another note:  It's ALL delicious, but the marshmallow 'syrup' is quite funny looking.  The texture is weird, too.  But the sweetness and marshmallow-y yummyness that results is necessary.  So use my odd instructions, wing it, and MAKE IT!  (And let me know what you think!)  We tried a different method before the one described below that unfortunately resulted in a scorched pan, so stick to the instructions (and let me know if you find out an alternative method!).

And always remember that it's always a good occasion for pancake-eating!


S'mores Pancakes
*adapted from PastryAffair.com

Ingredients:
1 cup Flour
1/2 cup Graham crackers
1 tbs Baking powder
1 tsp Salt
1 1/4 cups Milk
1 large Egg, beaten
1/2 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
Mini marshmallows

Instructions:

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt.  Stir in the milk, beaten egg, and chocolate chips, mixing until incorporated. Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto a heated, greased pan and cook each side until lightly browned.

While making the pancakes, over low heat melt down handfuls of mini marshmallows, creating about a one-inch thick layer from the bottom of a small saucepan along with a few tablespoons of water.  Once the mixture is translucent and has come to a slow boil, turn down the temperature and stir occasionally until ready to serve the pancakes.  Drizzle pancakes with the marshmallow syrup.  

(The marshmallow garnishes below were Brian's touch...completely optional, haha!)


And then...devour your s'mores pancakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment