Saturday, September 13, 2014

Ali Bakes: Cinnamon-Sugared Pumpkin Donut Holes

So...let's be honest...these are NOT donut holes!  I missed the teeny tiny detail in the original recipe saying that the treats are baked in mini muffin pans.  Ah well, I'm keeping the name!  (Have I ever mentioned that I'm a tad bit stubborn?)

But, I'm also somewhat generous.  I baked the sugared-up donut holes for a student organization's bake sale.  It was a great way to support some impressive, motivated students in the Food Recovery Network AND a great way to get my baking on!  I was a bit rushed during the process, but luckily, I don't think the edibles were affected!  I think maybe I'm getting better and better at this whole 'rushed-baking' concept--maybe I should trademark it!

Well, it's now the weekend, it's brisk and chilly outside in my opinion, and
I'm thinking that means pumpkin-y things are officially acceptable to cook and bake from this point forward.  Go forth, bake, and of course, EAT!

Cinnamon-Sugared Pumpkin Donut Holes
*adapted from cookandbemerry.com 


Ingredients:
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup milk
1 3/4 cup flour
2 tsps. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1/16 tsp ground cloves
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray muffin tins with nonstick spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, pumpkin, and milk until a smooth mixture forms.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves.
 Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and stir until just combined.  Do not over mix.  Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full, about 1 tablespoon in each.  Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, and when a toothpick comes out clean, they're done!  Cool the muffins in the tin for 1-2 minutes and then let them cool further on a cooling rack.

Melt the butter in a bowl in the microwave.  Mix the remaining sugar and cinnamon in another medium bowl.  When the muffins are cool enough to handle, dip them in butter to coat and toss in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.


And now...devour!  (...or share...)

No comments:

Post a Comment