Saturday, May 31, 2014

Ali Cooks: Buttermilk Biscuits & Vegetarian Gravy

I haven't had a good meal of biscuits and gravy for a long time.  I love the dish--when I was converting to become a full-time vegetarian, I would cheat to eat biscuits and gravy, ignoring the fact that the gravy had 'sausage' bits floating in it.  (Don't worry, I picked out the rubbery sausage pieces whenever possible.)
 
But these days, I have full control of my biscuits AND my gravy.  What if I want them almost-overdone?  And what if I want no trace of sausage floating in my delectable gravy?  Then that's what I make, plain and simple!
 
I even had Brian take a taste, though he devoured the plain buttermilk biscuits much more willingly than the gravy.  (Ah well, more for me!)
 
 
Buttermilk Biscuits & Vegetarian Gravy
*adapted from prettyplainjanes.com & a Facebook inspiration
 
Ingredients:
Biscuits:
1 cup flour, plus more for dusting
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/2 tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbs very cold unsalted butter
1/2 cup buttermilk (easily made by adding a 1/2 tbs to a measuring cup & filling to the 1/2 cup line)
 
Gravy:
1 tbs vegetable oil
1 tbs flour
1/2 cup almond milk
1/4 cup veggie stock
A whole lot of salt and pepper to taste
1+ tbs cornstarch, depending on desired gravy consistency
 
Instructions:
 
 Preheat your oven to 450°F.  Combine the dry ingredients for the biscuits in a food processor and pulse a couple of times.
 
Cut the butter into chunks and place in the food processor.  Pulse a few times until a coarse meal consistency is achieved.  Add the buttermilk and pulse until just combined.
Turn the dough out onto a floured surface (Don't forget to flour your hands!).
 
Gently, gently PAT (no rolling with pin) the dough out until it's about 1/2 inch thick.  Fold the dough 3-5 times and then gently press the dough down to a 1 inch thickness.
 
Use a round cutter or a glass cup to cut into rounds. (Gently knead the scraps together and make a few more, just know they will not be anywhere near as good as the first ones.)
 
 
Place the biscuits on an ungreased/unlined cookie sheet- if you like soft sides, put them touching each other. If you like"crusty" sides, put them about 1 inch apart- these will not rise as high as the biscuits put close together.  Bake for about 10-12 minutes until golden brown on top and bottom. (Or light-colored and firm to touch if you like them like me!)
 
While the biscuits are baking, get started on the gravy.  Heat up the oil over a medium-high flame, then whisk in the flour to form a roux, cooking it until it's blond.  Whisk in the milk, then the stock, seasoning to taste.  It will likely be too thin, so add small amounts of cornstarch, whisking continuously until you reach a desired gravy thickness.
 


 
Biscuits are best enjoyed warm out of the oven,
and I suggest
smothering the little flaky bundles with hot gravy on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment