Saturday, January 2, 2016

Ali Cooks Quinoa with Pesto, Tomatoes, & Corn

It's 2016.  This is my first official post of the new year.  Also, I started this blog in 2013.  So I've been a 'home cook' for a little while now, and that's kinda cool.

Below is my first dinner of 2016.  It's reminiscent of other delicious quinoa experiments I've made before, but I'm not sure I've done the pesto/broth combination (quite a tasty concoction).

Resolutions, you ask?  Eh.  I ultimately want to be more positive.  2015 was a hard year.  Despite the unquestionable 'downs' of the past year, I'd like my attitude to reflect a whole lot of 'ups.'  Sure, 2016 has the same potential to be rough overall.  But my attitude determines my contentment, and I'm ready to turn things around.  There is so much for me to be thankful for from the past year--Bailey, new job, a new apartment, officially living with Brian permanently, a new car...  So I'll take all of that good fortune and complain a lot less this year.

Oh--but Brian, if you're reading this, I'm still totally going to complain about things when I'm tired.  So don't get any ideas!  ;)


Quinoa with Pesto, Tomatoes, & Corn
*Adapted from AvocadoPesto.com

Ingredients:

3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
3 Tbs pesto
1 bunch of green onion, diced
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
2 Tbs olive oil
Splash of cooking wine
1/2 tsp paprika
Pepper

Instructions:

In a pot heat the olive oil and add the quinoa.  Cook, stirring frequently until the quinoa is lightly toasted, approximately 3-4 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes or until quinoa is cooked through.  Pour into a mixing bowl and add 1 1/2 tablespoons of the pesto to the quinoa.  Mix well and set aside, covered.

In a saucepan heat the corn with some cooking wine.  Cook 2-3 minutes and then add the tomatoes and green onion,  Continue to cook 3-4 minutes and then add the remaining pesto.  Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally. Add the paprika and pepper.


Spoon the quinoa mixture back into the pan and stir to warm everything together.  Serve hot or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment